After a good looking start by Pakistani openers Shoaib Malik and Imran Farhat Pakistan was in real trouble when Sri Lanka got three quick wickets. Shoaib Malik was first to go and then Younis Khan was caught behind on the very first ball. Faisal Iqbal, who had made a century in his last test against India in Karachi Test, could not resist himself from playing a false and unnecessary shot to get him out.
Pakistan was in deep trouble at 28 for the loss of 3 wickets when Inzamam came to bat with opener Imran Farhat who has got chance after continuous failure of Salman Butt. Inzamam-ul-Haq who is out of form due to back injury played sensibly with Farhat. Their partnership of 92 took the match from Sri Lankans.
Imran Farhat played beautifully today. Though he tried to play some slogging shots and could not time those properly but he played some superb shots as well. After he was out at 122, Razaq came to company Inzamam-Ul-Haq.
Sri Lanka could only make 185 runs and that was only due to Dilshan’s 69 and Mahroof’s 46. Pakistani Bowlers especially Muhammad Asif made use of new ball and got early wickets. Umer Gul accompanied him on the other end. Asif really got superb wickets especially clean bowled of Sangakkara and Samaraweera were the best wickets of the day. The best catch was taken by Younis Khan in slips. Danish Kaneria got 3 wickets at the end getting rid of the tail.
Now the only hope for Sri Lanka is first session of third day and if they don’t get early wickets last hope is weather because forecast is that it Can rain at any time there in Colombo. First session of tomorrow play will be very crucial for Pakistan as well and if they lose wickets, Sri Lanka will be back in the game. Still Shahid Afridi and Kamran Akmal are there to bat and Razaq and Inzamam are on the crease.
FALL OF WICKETS
- Upul Tharanga lbw Asif 0 (0 for 1)
- Sanath Jayasuriya b Gul 6 (10 for 2)
- Kumar Sangakkara b Asif 8 (18 for 3)
- Mahela Jayawardene c Akmal b Gul 1 (26 for 4)
- Thilan Samaraweera b Asif 4 (32 for 5)
- Farvez Maharoof c Younis b Asif 46 (143 for 6)
- Tillakaratne Dilshan c Younis b Kaneria 69 (149 for 7)
- Malinga Bandara b Kaneria 16 (162 for 8 )
- Lasith Malinga c Inzamam b Afridi 8 (177 for 9)
- Dilhara Fernando c Inzamam b Kaneria 16 (185 for 10)
- Shoaib Malik c Bandara b Maharoof 13 (25 for 1)
- Younis Khan c Sangakkara b Maharoof 0 (25 for 2)
- Faisal Iqbal c Maharoof b Malinga 2 (28 for 3)
- Imran Farhat c Bandara b Malinga 69 (122 for 4)